Inspired by the “Braised Celtuce” recipe from Mister Jiu's in Chinatown: Recipes and Stories from the Birthplace of Chinese American Food (pg.60), we made this refreshing celtuce salad with Five Seasons TCM’s tonic and Potli’s hemp infused olive oil. If you don’t have access to fresh celtuce, you can use cucumber instead! This salad can be a great addition to your tacos, burgers, rice, and Potli’s Shrimp Chips!
Serving Size: 1-2
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cool heat
- Remove food stagnation
- Energize and help with focus
- Moisten the lung, reduce coughing
- 2 celtuce or 1 medium cucumber
- Sea salt, pinch
- 2 cups of broth or water
- 2 tsp xing ren (chinese almond)
- 1 Five Seasons TCM “Better Than Coffee” Tonic Bag (optional)
- 1 lime or lemon, keep the zest and juice
- Drizzles of Potli Hemp Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Minced parsley and scallion
- Cut celtuce into shredded that are about the length of your pinky.
- Add a pinch of sea salt to the celtuce and massage with your hand. Leave aside for at least 30 minutes to encourage some water to come out of the vegetable.
- Bring tonic bag, xing ren, and broth/water to a boil and then cook on low heat with lid covered for 5 minutes. Add another pinch of salt.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Rinse the celtuce in filtered water and squeeze the liquid out.
- In a mason jar, add the celtuce and enough cooled tonic brine (I suggest not the eat the chinese almonds) to just cover the vegetable. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours.
- Strain the celtuce. Garnish with minced herb and Potli Hemp Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Enjoy with shrimp chips, tacos, burgers, rice, and more!