Lamb/Chicken/Tofu Kebabs with Chili Yogurt
By Georgia A Lewis
Prep & Cook Time: 5 hours (1 hour for prep & cook, 4 hours for marinade)
- 1 cup plain yogurts
- ¼ cup lemon juice from 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons Potli x Halal Hemp Certified Chili Oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut in 1 ½ - inch cubes
- Lamb Alternative: 2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder or lamb sirloin
- Veggie Alternative: 1 case of firm tofu and assorted vegetables desired for skewer
- *Soak wooden skewers before use so that they don;t burn in the oven. Submerge in water overnight or for a few hours.
- When using chicken, use the thighs to result in juicier kebab
- Cover firm tofu in cornstarch top to give it structure when grilled…
- Without a grill, use an oven at HIGH heat…
- Whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, oil, ginger, spices (salt, pepper, paprika, cumin), Potli x Halal Hemp Certified Chili Oil
- Place chicken/lamb/tofu in a resealable plastic bag
- Pour in marinade and seal bag, removing as much air as possible!
- Place bag in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to result in a strong, juicy marinade
- After the refrigeration process, thread chicken/lamb/tofu tightly onto skewers
- For those with a grill: go crazy with that grill!
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over the entire surface of the coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill skewers until well browned on all sides and center of chicken registers between 160-165°F (71-74°C) on an instant read thermometer, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer skewers to a platter and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Ready to serve!
- For those sans grills: OVEN TIME!
- Preheat oven to 450° F
- Place skewers on two baking sheets lined with aluminum foil
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping the skewers about half way through the cook.
- Ready to serve!